Happy Wednesday! I hope everyone is having a great week...mine has been a 'calm before the storm' type of week. But I'm happy to have some downtime and be able to spend this time in places that I love with people that I love.
Today, I'm going to share a fun DIY project. There are so many pins and pictures on social media showing 'Sharpie Mugs/Plates/Bowls/Etc' and I really wanted to try this project out. I decided to make a custom mug.
- Mug (purchased from the dollar store)
- Permanent markers
- Clean. I took off the sticker price tag from the store and washed my mug with dish soap and water. I would suggest doing this and running it through your dishwasher as well. Your mug needs to be CLEAN. I thought mine was clean, but there was some residue left by the sticker, which ended up being baked on to my mug.
- Decorate. I love this project because you can be as creative as you want, simple or complex. Since this was a test project, I decided to keep my 'design' simple. On one side I wrote 'Leading a life full of...' and on the other side I wrote 'Dreams and Colour'
- Bake. With the help of Google, I discovered that the mug should be baked at 350 for half an hour, which I did.
As you can see from the pictures, what was done in black marker turned out well. The blue, pink and red markers, although super light, are still readable. I made a mug for a friend and used a dark purple marker, which turned out similar to the blue used for 'Dreams'.
I did end up tracing everything and re-baking to see if that would make the colours stand out more, but it didn't.
Couple of things to note:
- Not dishwasher safe. I put the mug in the dishwasher and everything more or less washed off.
- Potentially microwave safe. I did put the mug in the microwave for about 45 seconds and I didn't notice a change to the marker colours. Full disclosure- I only did this once so I'm not sure what would happen if the mug is put in the microwave repeatedly.
- I know that this is called a 'Sharpie' mug but any type of permanent markers will work; Sharpie is a brand of permanent markers. I used Bic permanent markers.
The verdict?While this is a super simple project that has the opportunity for tons of creativity and makes a great personalized gift, it really only works with black markers- which is fine, but I am a girl who LOVES colour. I have made a few of mugs for friends and they all loved them!
On the blog tomorrow...Bedtime Stories Baby Shower- Gifts & Book Recommendations.