- Revenge Wears Prada- I've heard mixed reviews about this book. I liked The Devil Wears Prada and I like Lauren Weisberger as a writer, plus this has been on my reading list since it came out.
- Prep: A Novel- This is one of my all time favourite books and the only actual book I'm bringing with me (the rest are on my Kindle).
- Ten Girls To Watch- This is a re-read for me. I've only read the book once but I liked it and want to read it again.
- Trust Fund Babies- I've heard good things about this book and it's another book that's been on my reading list for ages.
- Commencement- I'm not sure where I heard about this book and I actually don't know, off the top of my head, anything about this book. It was added to my reading list in the past month or so it's a more recent addition to the list.
- The Swimmer's Assistant- Yet another re-read. I love this book and it's by one of my favourite bloggers, Amber. I haven't read it in a while and it's a perfect beach/pool/vacation read.
Friday, 30 May 2014
Thursday, 29 May 2014
- Hydrating spray- I love hydrating sprays and use them all year round. They are perfect to refresh as well as hydrate your skin. Great product to have in your beach bag.
- Face cleanser wipes- Great for removing light makeup, sunscreen and of course cleansing your face.
- Sunscreen- This is a must!! The higher the SPF the better.
- Bug spray- A lot of people forget to pack this. Bugs are an issue in a lot of destinations.
- One hair product- Do not bring all of your hair products or multiple kinds of products, Pick one that is a 'must' for you or that you can't live without. Garnier Surf Hair Texturizing Cream is my go to product year round. I have curly hair that goes frizzy in humid weather. This product can be applied to wet or dry hair, keeps frizz at bay and leaves me with perfect 'beach' waves.
- First aid kit- You just need the travel size. Band aids can be surprisingly hard to come by when traveling.
- Mascara- On vacation, I might wear make up to dinner, but that's about it. I keep it very simple, with mascara being one of two makeup pieces I bring. If I don't have a mascara sample, I will bring a drugstore brand (NYC Color is a personal favourite)
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner- You only need to bring one bottle to get the benefits of both products.
- Toothpaste & brush- I buy the travel pack to use while I'm gone and throw it out when I'm done.
- Moisturizer- This is key. Being in the sun all day is very drying to skin.
- Lip product- The second of two makeup pieces I bring is either lipstick or gloss to wear to dinner. Again, if I don't have a sample, I bring a drugstore brand.
Wednesday, 28 May 2014
- Tote- This is what I use for a carry on if I am checking a bag. It's good to pick something generic- you don't want people to think you are affluent, as this increases your chances of having your stuff stolen. I also use a tote because when I am at my vacation destination, this becomes the bag that I take to the beach/pool with me and I use it as my purse.
- Clutch- This does double duty, I use it as a wallet and as a purse for nights out.
- Lip balm- Airplanes are so drying, so this is a must travel item for me.
- Bathing suit- I n case my luggage goes missing, I can still enjoy the pool/beach while I wait for my luggage to turn up.
- Earphones- I bring my own to use on the plane to listen to the inflight movie and/or radio.
- Deck of cards- In case your flight gets delayed, you have something to occupy your time. It's also a great way to meet people, asking them if they want to play.
- Shirt- In case my luggage goes missing, I have something to change into and will be appropriate for day or night.
- Skirt- In case my luggage goes missing, I have something to change into and will be appropriate for day or night.
- Bobble Water Bottle- You are not allowed to bring water through security, so these are perfect! You can bring an empty Bobble through security and fill it up when you are on the other side. This water bottle also has a filter, making water safe to drink.
- Magazine- I always bring a couple of magazines on the flight with me. Not only are they great to read, but I usually leave them behind in the airport or airplane when I am done with them, so someone else can enjoy them too.
- Sunglasses- I love my sunglasses and would hate to lose them or for them to be damaged, so I pack them in my carry on.
- Kindle- I love my Kindle and would be devastated if I lost it or it got damaged, so I pack it in my carry on. Yes, it's great for reading and passing time, but I like to save the battery for when I'm at my destination.
- Snack- Airplane food is not always appetizing and not all flights include meals, so it's a good idea to bring a couple of snacks.
Tuesday, 27 May 2014
- Tank tops- I bring these in a variety of colours. They are casual enough for pool side and dressy enough for dinner
- Bathing suit coverup- Great for throwing on to go somewhere for lunch. I actually have a couple of cover-ups that pair nicely with a denim skirt...making it an acceptable outfit for dinner.
- Flip flops- I LOVE my Havaianas! They are so comfortable, which is a must for long walks. Plus they are perfect for the beach/pool and they are fancy enough that they can be worn to dinner.
- Large shirt- I always buy a couple of shirts that would be way too big for me (think XL). They are long enough to be bathing suit coverups and are large enough to be breezy for hot weather.
- Polos- Like tank tops, are perfect for day or evening and can easily be dressed up or down.
- Cardigan- Perfect for layering over tank tops and polos and to keep you warm on cool nights. Cardigans are also a really easy way to dress up an outfit.
- Jeans- For cooler nights and ideal for traveling.
- Sandals- I'll pack one pair of sandals that will go with every outfit I bring. Sandals are a simple way to dress up an outfit.
- Bathing suit- How can you go to an island and not bring a bathing suit?! Plus, how adorable is this suit?
- Skirts- I know that dresses are popular for vacations, but I actually stick to skirts. They are easier to mix and match with different tops. I usually pack one or two denim skirts, as they are great to wear while getting to and from the pool and beach.
Any seasoned traveler will tell you to pack light and only bring the essentials. Two pieces of advice that I highly endorse!!
Friday, 23 May 2014
Thursday, 22 May 2014
Tuesday, 20 May 2014
Thursday, 15 May 2014
I can't believe we are half way through the month! Time is going so quickly and all I want to do is sleep! Anyway, I figured the half way point of a month would be a great time to update everyoneon what I hsd done the previous month. So, here is what I got up to in April...
I had 15 meetings...how do I end up with so many meetings in a month??? Most of them were work related, including a regional meeting I hosted! I host this meeting once a year and I look forward to it. It's a great opportunity to connect my colleagues across south central Ontario and find out what they are up too. It was a really fun meeting with a lot of laughter. I also said goodbye to my work other half. Sad to see her go but we sent her off with a nice pizza lunch.
I had a lot of non-meetings last month too. I started the month with a visit from my boss who is on mat leave. I can't express how amazing it was to see her! She has this great energy and I am so blessed to work for her. She reaffirmed to me, without knowing it, that I am in the right work situation, this is where I belong. Everything I have been struggling with the past 6 months, she made better. Things are going to be a ok :)
Once a month, I have a girls night with one of my closest friends in the city, which is always fun, and this month was followed by spending a Sundaty afternoon with my university roommate. I also meet up with a friend/coworker who is also on mat leave for coffee.
Outside of our regular meetings for Sorority, we also had an Easter egg hunt, celebrated Founder's Day and played Bingo- which was so much fun, even though I didn't win and my Sisters questioned whether or not I would be able to keep up with all of my cards- I only had 4, which was not a lot compared to the rest of them.
I had a couple of Brock Alumni meetings, which happened on the same day as Brock events. I attended the President's Forum, which was a cocktail reception. It was fun to hear the president speak and to meet local Brock Alumni. We also went to a local pub and played trivia! It was really hard but a lot of fun! Our score was 37.5 out of 100. It was the rirst time we had ever been and the guy running it had this thick Scottish accent, so by the time you figured outwhat he has asked, he was alreadyon the next question. But it was a lot of fun.
There was also a lot of family time. I went home for my great grandmothers garage sale, and laterinthe month for one last visit. I was up at our second home for a weekend with my dad and I went home for Easter. It' always nice to see and spend time with family.
Oh yeah, and I booked a trip to Cuba for May!!! I am REALLY looking forward to this trip.
April was busy but fun. Half way through May and it's shaping up to be just as eventful and fun.
Wednesday, 14 May 2014
Monday, 12 May 2014
Tuesday, 6 May 2014
Friday, 2 May 2014
Hope everyone has a great Friday!!